To create a task list, in a project, click "+New", name the task list, then click the "Task List" button. Here's what a task list looks like:
The DesignI used the task list quite a bit when implementing the task list, and significantly modified the interface many, many times. I also tried out numerous other todo list programs for inspiration. I eventually settled on the following key design choices, some of which are different than anything I've seen. In particular, the design targets highly technical users, which is not something I saw with any other todo list programs I tried.
- Markdown editor: The task description is formatted using client-side rendered Github flavored markdown (using marked), including [ ] for checkboxes. I also include full MathJax support, and spent quite a while working around various subtleties of mixing mathjax and markdown. I'll be rewriting Sage worksheets to use this code. The editor itself is Codemirror 4 in markdown mode, so it respects whatever theme you choose, has nice features like multiple cursors, paren matching, vim/emacs modes, etc. Multiple people can edit the same task at once and everybody will see the changes as they are made (note: I haven't implemented showing other cursors.)
- Relative dates and times: All dates and times are shown relative to right now. If something is due in 20 hours, it says "due about 20 hours from now". I also included a sortable column with the last time when a task was edited, also shown relative to the current time. This display uses the timeago jquery plugin. You can of course click on the due date to see the actual date.
- Hashtags: As I was implementing (and removing) features such as priorities, a way to indicate which task you are currently working on, folders, etc, I decided that hashtags can provide every feature. Moreover, they are very text editor/programmer friendly. When editing a task, if you put #foo, then it is interpreted as a hashtag, which you can click on to show only tasks containing that tag. To disambiguate with markdown headings, to make a heading you have to include a whitespace, so # foo. I haven't added autocomplete for hashtags yet, but will. You can easily click on hashtags anywhere to select them, or use the bar at the top.
- User-specified task order: The default sort order for tasks is custom. There is a drag handle so you can explicitly move tasks up and down in order to indicate how important they are to you (or whatever else). You can also click an up hand or down hand to knock the currently selected task to the bottom of the list of displayed tasks.
Databases and Differential SynchronizationOne interesting thing I noticed when implementing task lists is that there are many similarities with the original sagenb.org design (and also IPython notebook), in which a worksheet is a list of cells that get evaluated, can be manually reordered, etc. Similarly, a task list is a list of "cells" that you edit, manually reorder, etc. With sagenb we had longstanding issues involving the order of each cell and assigning an integer numerical id (0, 1, 2, ...) to the cells, which resulted in things like cells seemingly getting randomly reordered, etc. Also, having multiple simultaneous viewers with automatic synchronization is very difficult with that model. For task lists, I've introduced some new models to address these issues.
A natural way to store a task list is in a database, and I initially spent some time coming up with a good database schema and implementing basic lists using Cassandra for the backend. However, I couldn't pursue this approach further, since I was concerned about how to implement realtime synchronization, and also about the lack of easily backing up complete task lists via snapshots, in git, etc. So instead I created an "object database" API built on top of a file that is synchronized across clients (and the server) using differential synchronization. The underlying file format for the database is straightforward -- there is one line in JSON format for each record in the database. When objects are changed, the file is suitably modified, synchronized to other clients, and events are triggered.
Since differential synchronization has no trouble with files that have "a few thousand lines", this approach works well for our purposes (since personal or shared todo lists are typically fairly short). Also, having one line per record is at least more git friendly than something like a sqlite database. I'm considering rewriting my implementation of IPython notebook sync on top of this abstraction.
Since I view the task list as a database, each task has a globally unique uuid. Also, instead of viewing the task order as being defined by an integer 0,1,2,3, which leads to all manner of bugs and programming misery, race conditions, etc., instead we view the order as being determined by floating point positions. So to insert a task between tasks with positions 1 and 2, we just give the task position 1.5.